The primary function of the Building Department is the enforcement of the State of Ohio Building Codes 2019. These standards serve to protect the health, safety and welfare of the general public.

Building Department Information
The Building Department is responsible for inspection services and issuing building permits, which are required for Residential building construction. Permits must be pulled for accessory structures such as decks, pools, patios, storage barns, siding, etc. All Commercial building construction goes through Stark County Building Department.

See available forms and permits for download, or they can be obtained at the Village Office.

Contact Information:
Building Official - Tom Erb 330.877.9222         (Part-time)
Electric Inspector - Todd Allen 330.877.9222   (Part-time)
Office Manager - Cheryl Marcelli 330.877.9222
202 W Maple Street
Hartville, OH 44632
Fax: 330.877.9778

Office Hours
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 
8:00 a.m. to 12 noon on Thursdays

Sidewalk Ordinance
No owner or occupant of lots or lands abutting any sidewalk, curb or gutter shall fail to keep the sidewalks, curbs and gutters in repair and free from snow, ice or any nuisance within a reasonable time-ordinarily not exceed 12 hours after any storm during which the snow and ice has accumulated.

Contractor Registration

Why Must Contractors Be Registered?

Beginning July, 2009, all general contractors and subcontractors working in the Village of Hartville are required to be registered with the Hartville Building Department, carry appropriate insurance and also be bonded in the event that work is not completed as per the Hartville Village Ordinance and State Law.

Registration of contractors ensures that residents of the Village can self-assuredly hire tradesmen who are aware of local building codes, ordinances and other requirements.

Who Must Register As A Contractor?

The Village of Hartville classifies a "contractor" as any person, partnership, corporation or other business entity engaged in the business of constructing, repairing, altering or restoring buildings or other structures or lots and all trades associated with such work, including (but not limited to) the following:

*General building contractors

*Excavating contractors;

*Carpentry contractors;

*HVAC contractors;

*Mechanical contractors;

*Electrical contractors; and


"Subcontractors" are classified as a contractor who performs only that type of work that is defined as a trade including (but not limited to):










*Swimming Pools

Homeowners, his/her family member or an unpaid friend engaged in constructing, altering or repairing his/her personal residence or lot shall not be considered a contractor.

How Does One Register As A Contractor?

Contractors must:

1. Complete the contractor registration application (see forms & permits).

2. Pay the required fee;

3. Provide proof of general liability and surety bond in the amount of $10,000.00. (bound to the Village of Hartville).

What does Contractor Registration Cost?

All new Contractor Registrations are $75.00, and renewals are $50.00. All registration fees are valid for one calendar year from January 1 to December 31.


Can I get a building permit if my contractor is not yet registered?

No, a building permit will not be issued until all contractors are registered with the Village of Hartville's Building Department.

My surety bond and/or liability insurance will expire before the end of the year. Do I need to provide a copy of my certificate of insurance renewal?

In order to keep your contractor registration current, you must make certain that all bonds and insurance do not expire during a calendar year.

Can I fax a copy of my surety bond to your office?

No, only original copies of a contractor's surety bond will be accepted.